MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

14: The Message

Group: Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five
Members: Melle Mel, Kidd Creole, Cowboy, Mr. Ness/Scorpio, and Rahiem
Producer: DJ GRAND MASTERFLASH
Recorded: 1981-1982
released: 1982
album title: THE MESSAGE

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five was an influential American hip hop group formed in the South Bronx of New York City in 1978. Composed of one DJ (Grandmaster Flash) and five rappers (Melle Mel, Kidd Creole, Cowboy, Mr. Ness/Scorpio, and Rahiem), the group's use of turntablism, break-beat deejaying, choreographed stage routines and lyricism was a significant force in the early development of hip-hop music.
The group rose to fame in the early 1980s with their first successful single "Freedom" and later on with their magnum opus "The Message", which is often cited as among the most influential hip hop songs. The Message was also their debut studio album released in 1982 on Sugar Hill Records. It is considered one of the most prominent records in the history of hip-hop music with its most notable single being "The Message", which is often listed as one of the most influential hip-hop songs. However, in 1983, relations between Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel began straining and the group disbanded.

It still blows me away that these guys only lasted for five years(78'-82') and only came out with two albums....although they are legendary fucking records...

I'm pretty sure every single person on this board has heard the song "The Message" which is considered to be by many as hands down one of the most important songs ever created in the genre and a major influence to a lot of rising stars during the late 80s-90s. Hands down one of the most influential rap songs ever created. Although there was already tons of rap acts popping out in the 70s and 80 there just wasn't a group quite like grand master flash and the furious five. The group as well as their debut record help push the envelope in an already developing genre that was still barley getting started(don't forget that hip hop started popping off not too long ago in the mid to late 70s).The lyrics were ahead of its time and the song as well as this record was a corner stone in helping move and push rap into a more wider audience and help push the envelope commercially on the radio by developing a unique sound that would soon be mimicked by a lot of acts. Nothing came close or sounded close to the originality of this CD. Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five released one of the greatest Old school records of all time in 1982 with the Message, and the song the message will go down as one of the greatest songs ever.. Those who don't see the importance of this group, record and influence need to stop reading this thread, please and thank you...

DONT

PUSH ME CAUSE I'M CLOSE TO THE THE

EDGE!!!

I'M

TRYING

NOT

TO

LOOSE

MY HEAD!!!!

it's like a jungle out there it sometimes makes me wonder how i keep from going under...

"The Message" was the first prominent hip hop song to provide a lyrical social commentary. It took rap music from the house parties to the social platforms later developed by groups like Public Enemy, N.W.A., and Rage Against The Machine. Melle Mel said in an interview with NPR: “Our group, like Flash and the Furious Five, we didn’t actually want to do the message because we was used to doing party raps and boasting how good we are and all that.” It is credited as the catalyst for the conscious Hip-Hop or political sub-genre of Hip-Hop music. It is a social narrative that details the struggles and difficulties due to living in poverty in the inner-city. In addition, it embodies the distress, anger, and sadness an individual experiences when confronting these inequalities. The description of various social and economic barriers followed by the mantra “don’t push me cause I’m close to the edge, I’m trying not to lose my head” exemplifies that it is not just the disparity in opportunity that is oppressive but also the emotional response that is debilitating. It is frequently referred to as the greatest record in hip hop history and was the first Hip-Hop record ever to be added to the United States' National Recording Registry of historic sound recordings. Though not the first in the genre of rap to talk about the struggles and the frustrations of living in the ghetto, the song was unique in that it was set to a slower beat, refocusing the song on the lyrics over the music.

The Message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqky4dSGJnE

Christ all mighty reviving this thread has got me back on my hip hop fix once again, christ all mighty I forgot how fucking incredible and ahead of its time this song and album was. The deep social commentary presented on this song and record is so legendary and put simply set a corner stone for future acts living in the struggling ghetto to come out and take the style that grandmaster group had and mold into there own. Kinda like rising death metal/thrash bands who took older bands formulas and molded to make their own kind of style..
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 12-05-2012 at 06:03 PM.