View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
...the dead are among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Of course you don't believe me,since you hate hair metal.Anyway,if Nirvana killed hair metal so badly,then why was it that the following year that Nevermind was released Def Leppard released Adrenalize that had four top 40 hits?why did FireHouse have a top 40 hit in 1995?why are there many hair bands still around today,some of the them still playing arenas?why are there many new hair bands having great success in the underground?some new hair bands are actually scoring top 40 hits in other countries outside of America.I'm sure you have tons of smart alec answers to this,but no matter what you or anybody says I'll always believe hair metal is still alive.
When people say that Nirvana killed hair metal they mean it in the context that hair metal was the 'big thing' in rock at the time. Grunge introduced the average listener to a heavier sound than had ever been popular in the mainstream. The more heavily distorted guitar and less intelligible vocal delivery were new things to 'mainstream' or 'radio rock'. Sure, it's not like everyone who was into hair and glam metal stopped listening to it or attending concerts, but the total dominance of it as the primary form of modern rock music on MTV and radio of that era was coming to a close. So it's not so much that grunge killed off hair metal, it just began to signal a change in the style of popular rock music.

My only question would be: what new hair metal bands are finding success in the underground?