View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
No, that's the point. It's also the point of Bobby Heenan "managing" Hogan. Hogan and Bobby Heenan were bitter archrivals throughout their whole careers, to the point of all Andre The Giant having to do to turn heel was simply join up with Heenan and let him be his mouthpiece.
Yeah, that's how hated Heenan was. Andre was at just about the same level of popularity as Hogan but all he had to do was team with The Brain to make the turn immediately. Andre only turned heel two months before the match with Hogan, so they didn't have a lot of time to make the turn happen. If you wanted anyone to be hated back then, you just had Heenan manage them. This of course didn't stop me from cheering for Andre when I watched Wrestelmania three live. I was only 9 years old and didn't actually realise Andre was on the downside of his career. In my eyes he deserved the world title and I agreed with Heenan and Andre when they said Hogan kept Andre as a close friend just so he could avoid defending the title against him. Even as a little kid I loved the heels

The equivalent of that today would be to team somebody up with Paul Hayman right away if you want the people to boo them. Proof of this is that Punk's heel turn didn't fully complete until he got Heyman as his manager.