View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 10:30 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

5.) Down - Down IV: Part I - The Purple EP

While I'm admittedly not much of a Down fan, this EP is pretty damn good. The EP is really groovy and mid-paced for the most part and some of the songs (Witchtripper especially) are really catchy. It seems to be a real throwback to the early days of doom metal with clear influences from Saint Vitus and the almighty Black Sabbath while never compromising Down's trademarked sludgey sound. Open Coffins is the only song that I have a particular problem with, as I feel the vocals sound off in it and it just seems to drag on and become boring.

Down - Witchtripper

4.) Deathspell Omega - Drought

Deathspell starts this album out with an almost haunting atmosphere with the instrumental Salowe Vision, then go straight into the raw fury that is Fiery Serpents. The onslaught continues with the avant-garde influenced rager Scorpions & Drought. Soon after, Abrasive Swirling Murk comes up and is definitely the highlight of the album to me. It sounds just like its name, as it is a very fast, abrasive song at times, but there is definitely that gloomy, murky atmosphere ever present throughout its duration. The EP is bookended by another instrumental, The Crackled Book of Life, which brings back and expands on the haunting atmosphere displayed in Salowe Vision.

Deathspell Omega - Abrasive Swirling Murk

3.) Corrosion of Conformity - Megalodon

My roommate does not like metal pretty much at all, but one day after I let him take my car to work, he walked in the house singing The Megalodon from this EP and asking who that was in my car. That's how fucking catchy this EP is. I think this is a huge improvement from the album they released earlier this year as the songs are actually memorable and just better overall. This is a must have EP for any rabid fans of stoner metal and thanks to Scion, it's free!

Corrosion of Conformity - The Megalodon
Corrosion of Conformity - The Vulture

2.) Agalloch - Faustian Echoes

This might be my favorite Agalloch song, which, since it's one song, might make it my favorite Agalloch release. I absolutely love the audio samples that feature throughout the song and I personally am more of a fan of harsh vocals over clean vocals, so this EP suits me well since it's all harsh vocals. The instrumentation is marvelous from the clean guitar interludes to the faster black metal segments. The riff that comes in at about six minutes and continues for a few minutes with all the other instruments joining around it is the best part of the song in my opinion.

Agalloch - Faustian Echoes

1.) Smash Potater - The EP

This is a band from Aurora that features MetalSetlists' own, MetallicBrian. This is kinda biased since they're a local band and I kinda know people from the band and shit like that, but fuck it. I've probably listened to this EP around fifty times and it's been in constant rotation in my car, This is just some fun, fast thrash with hilarious lyrics. I believe they are self-described as high cholesterol thrash metal. I can't tell you how many times I've had the chorus to Smash Potater stuck in my head or some random lyric from the bonus rap track Yezzir!!!. So, you should all, like, go listen to this and shit.

Smash Potater - Pit-o-Phile
Smash Potater - Smash Potater
Smash Potater - Yezzir!!!
9/6 Weekend Nachos
9/12 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation