View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Album #13: Kiss - Monster
October 9, 2012

My expectations were low for this album so I can easily say it exceeded expectations. But despite all that, I am somewhat surprised to say that it's actually pretty good. Obviously it's nowhere near their old material but there are a number of real standout tracks here as opposed to there being about two or three on Sonic Boom. My favorite track here is Freak which I think is one of the best Kiss tracks since 1992's underrated Revenge album. Other really strong songs include: Wall of Sound, Take Me Down Below, and All For The Love of Rock and Roll. The choruses for most of the songs on this album are pretty poppy, but I don't mind. The guitar work is a noticeable step up from Sonic Boom and Tommy and Eric seem to have improved vocally since that album as well.

A lot of the songs on this album are fairly average for Kiss but that doesn't make them bad. Kiss isn't one to break the mold often so you know what you're getting when you buy one of their later albums.

One thing I found funny is that Outta This World and All For The Love of Rock & Roll are extremely similar to Shock Me and Hooligan. Similar feels, similar lyrical themes, it's a blatant attempt to cement Tommy and Eric as the real Spaceman and Catman.

It's better than Sonic Boom and it's better than I expected. It's not a great record but it's pretty enjoyable.

7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac