Last
Fertile Green
Speedwolf
Rumors of War
DII
Turk
Madness of an Architect
Snakes for the Divine

The first band of the night and local opener was Houston’s Venomous Maximus, who also opened the SXSW High on Fire show at Emo’s and again they were a great fit. Their stoner/doom style with pretty traditional metal vocals were a good way to open the night.

The first band that’s part of the tour package was Lo-Pan from Ohio. They are on Small Stone records and like most of the label’s roster Lo-Pan is a stoner rock band. They reminded me of Kyuss, but the vocals had a quality reminiscent of Maynard from Tool. Lo-Pan was the least heavy band of the night, but they sounded great and even got the first pit of the night towards the end of their 30 minute set.

Goatwhore upped the intensity for the night with their black death assault. By the time Goatwhore hit the stage the venue was pretty full and the pits were pretty constant. Since I missed Summer Slaughter, this was my first time seeing them since Blood for the Master has come out and the new songs that I recognized sounded tight. As usual Sammy’s riffing and Ben’s intense stage presence were the focal point of Goatwhore’s performance. The floor exploded into their largest pit when they broke into Apocalyptic Havoc to close their set. They played for roughly 45 minutes.

There was about 30 minutes before Pike and co. hit the stage, plenty of time for people to prepare herbally and re-lubricate with beverages. When High on Fire hit the stage they started right off with Serums of Liao off of their most recent album. Since the F1 races are in Austin this weekend Emo’s dropped down 3 screens and projected race car crashes during High on Fire. It seemed like a cooler idea in theory than in practice. The clips they used were incredibly lame and were just did not fit with the raw power of High on Fire. All in all I was happy with the fact that they played tracks from all 6 of their albums; with such a epic back catalog it’s always going to seem like they missed something that someone wants to hear. They could’ve picked a better instrumental than DII, but it did slow things down nicely for a moment before barreling back into their closing songs. Their set ended up being about 70 minutes.
10/3 - Prosanctus Inferi / Horrendous

Last edited by smearCampaign; 11-16-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added review