Thread: 2012.....
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Got the new PxDx. It's pretty good but yeah, probably their weakest. It's probably closest to their debut in terms of overall sound. It does lack is the catchier songs. I know grindcore shouldn't be catchy but throwing in songs like Pissangel, Thumbsucker and Gravedancer amoungst all the chaos was what I love about earlier PxDx. This album is more straight-up grind with a lot of hardcore. There are moments where I almost want to headbang (I don't headbang) but not too many. And those moments are so short that it's usually four songs later that I realize I wanted to headbang. I don't mind all the guest vocalists either, even though JR is probably one of my favorite vocalists of all-time.

Two things I hated. I hate that the last song ends in a fade-out (during the best riff of the album). I hate fade-outs, especially on an album like this. And the artwork is brutal, in a bad way. Hate it. The cover is ugly. All the white is ugly. And the booklet looks like something from a mid-nineties indie-hardcore band from Oshawa's demo tape.

So yeah, I guess I don't like a lot about it. I took me two years to fully appreciate Phantom Limb so who knows how I'll feel about this one in a year. I do think that after over five years the expectations were so high that it was bound to let some people down (other that the writers at Metal Sucks.com).
I was a bit underwhelmed at first, but the fucker has really grown on me. I especially like the tracks where Kat does vocals. You're right, there's not exactly any tracks as catchy as "Gravedancer" on here, but it's still got a ton of tasty riffs once you give it a few spins and keep listening. Probably not their best album, though, I would agree.

On the other hand, I was VERY pleasantly surprised by Neurosis. I fully expected it to be good, but Gawd Dam! That shit is a fucking beastly album, my friends. It's a fucking sin that nobody on here seems to be talking about it. I'll be reviewing it soon (and by "soon" I mean sometime this year - maybe).

Other stuff I've listened to recently and liked:

Castle. Fuck yeah, that album rocks.
Converge was even better than I expected.
The new Isis isn't just for hardcore completists. There's actually some stuff on there that even casual fans need to hear. Plus, it's fucking Isis.
New Bison is pretty sweet. No surprise there.
Yakuza is good, but so far it hasn't wowed me as much as "Seismic" did.
I like what I've heard so far from the new Anal Athkrakh.

Haven't had time to check out The Sword, Early Graves or Mono yet, but am expecting good things from all of them. I've been so busy at work lately I don't even know which way is up. First time in a long time that I'm significant behind on listening to new shit (never mind commenting on it).