View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
So what does that entail? Anyone can smoke wherever smoking is normally permitted? Or are there strings?
No, you won't be able to smoke in public. Here is the basic information on it:

• I-502 legalizes the possession of marijuana for adults age 21 and older.

• Selling marijuana to minors will remain a felony.

• Washington farmers and businesses will be allowed to apply for special licenses to grow and sell marijuana.

• Marijuana will only be available in stores that sell no other products, are located at least 1,000 feet from schools, playgrounds, and parks, and do not display marijuana in a way that is visible to the public.

• State employees will not be involved in growing, distributing, or selling marijuana.

• State agencies will regulate numbers of stores per county, operating hours, security, quality control, labeling, and other health and safety issues.

• I-502 tightly restricts advertising and bans advertising in places frequented by youth.

• New tax revenue is dedicated to proven community and school-based prevention programs.

• Prohibits public use and display of marijuana.

• Does not allow home growing for people who are not medical marijuana patients.

• According to the state Office of Financial Management, a new 25% marijuana excise tax, combined with retail sales and B&O tax, will generate more than half a billion dollars in new revenue each year.

• 40% of the new revenues will go to the state general fund and local budgets.

• 60% will be dedicated to substance-abuse prevention, research, education and health care.

• A new marijuana DUI standard that operates like the alcohol DUI standard will be established.

• I-502 sets a science-based limit of 5ng/ml active THC blood concentration.

• DUI standard applies only to active THC, which drops below 5 ng/mL within a matter of hours, not the inactive metabolite carboxy-THC that can be detected days, or even weeks, after last use.

• Police officers still need proof of impairment to make an arrest and take a driver to a medical professional for a blood draw – just like current law.

• I-502 does not change Washington's medical marijuana law – patients still may grow their own marijuana.

• Patients will finally receive protection from arrest because possession will no longer be a crime for anyone 21 or older.

• Patients will finally receive access to safe, secure, reliable, and quality-controlled marijuana that has been grown locally.

http://www.newapproachwa.org/content/about-initiative