Thread: 2012.....
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
The new Nile is just decent. Would have been completely mediocre if Karl Sanders wasn't such a fucking great guitar player. Easily the worst album of their career.
See, this is what I'm talking about. All these extreme comments. Jesus Fucking Christ.

To those who haven't listened yet (or who are waiting based on comments like these), don't be discouraged. It's a damn decent album - just maybe not their best.
I finally checked out the new Nile and I wanted to reply to this post specifically. I have to agree with mastodon421 here. That's not to say the album is bad, but it is the weakest link amongst Nile's discography. Now as much as I hoped that they would make another album on par with Those Whom the Gods Detest, I didn't expect it to happen. However, I also didn't expect to be let down like this. There are a lot of elements on this album that caused my disappointment, so I'll just highlight the main ones. Firstly, the lack of deep gutturals struck me as odd. That was really a staple of their sound, and while they are still there, they only pop up on occasion. But with that being said, the raspy mid-range vocals have grown on me a lot since I first listened to "The Fiends Who Come to Steal the Magick of the Deceased."

Moving on, the second part that disappointed me was the production. Those Whom the Gods Detest was very clean, but it also retained that immensely heavy sound. In comparison, At the Gate of Sethu just sounds flat. It's not a huge issue, but it does effect the album quite a bit. Lastly, what disappointed me the most was the lack of great songs. There are a couple that stand out, but they don't come close to blowing me away. As a stand alone album, At the Gate of Sethu is still very good, but it doesn't reach the bar that Nile has set with their previous releases.