View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM
That Guy

And here comes the next 100 album....not all at once of course.

101.) Dethklok- Dethalbum III

The great thing about Dethklok as a real band and not just the animated series, Metalocalypse, is that musically they have only gotten more Melodic and have written better songs with each album. Skyhunter may be the best Dethklok song to date. Mayne will disagree with me on this whole review but it's the best Dethklok album to date. It's not just about being funny and brutal, although the first Track, I Ejaculate Fire, how can you NOT laugh at that? haha. If Queen ever wrote Death Metal, they would be Dethklok. This is a MDM masterpiece in my eyes.

9/10

102.) Asphyx- Deathammer

Martin Van Drunen continues on as the modern day Chuck Schuldiner. Whether it is Asphyx, Hail Of Bullets, or any other project that he does, the spirit of Death is alive and well in him, and Deathhammer. This is absolutely one of the best death Metal albums of the year, but if you already knew about Asphyx, that should have been o surprise. Everything you could want in a Death metal album is one here without any of the stereotypes that makes the genre sometimes boring. Check it out for yourself....AWESOME!

9/10

103.) Breach The Void- The Monochromatic Era

Basicialy carrying on in the way i wish Sybreed would have stayed (although their direction is cool too) This is how the Cyber/Modern Metal sound should sound. It is somewhat a throwback to 2003-2004 when this style was the most popular with bands like Sybreed and Mnemic. The drumming is absolutely outstanding as is the songwriting. The vocals seem a bit young, and I do mean that in a good way, they are only going to improve with age. If you like a little cyber or industrial in your Melodic Death metal, pick this one up, it's pretty damn awesome.

8/10

104.) Monuments- Gnosis

Another band that fits into the Djent sound. This is one band that I think has a lot of creativity in their sound. It does have some high pitched vocals that people don't like, especially with Periphery, but when it comes to this Genre, I rarely if ever have had a problem with it. In Post Hardcore and Pop Rock is annoys me to no end, but it fits here. A very fair Assessment is that Monuments is the British Periphery (which is quite funny as 1/3 of Periphery is now from England.) If you like Djent, Math Metal, Prog Metal, Check it out. I can dig it.

7/10

105.) Minus The Bear- Infinity Overload

A band that did start from the ashes of the Mathcore band Botch, to become one of the biggest Indie bands around. Quite a switch eh? since the album Planet Of Ice, in my humble opinion, these guys have only gotten better and better. They have found their niche and are sticking with it, and they don't need to change from it. While it takes a lot for me to like Indie Rock, there is more to it than that with Minus The Bear. There is Prog and Alternative Rock and very tasteful keyboards in the right spots. I love these guys and I think fans of Alternative Prog should love Minus he Bear as well. it will be right up your alley.

9/10

106.) Dordeduh- Dar de Duh

A very....strange album. It's Folk Metal, with clean vocals for the most part. It's very....actually I'm not really sure what I expected from this album at all. It's not bad by any means, but it's an album that does need to click with you It somewhat reminds me of what would happen with Eluveitie and Opeth made an album together. it sounds like it should be a killer combination, and it is, but it's gotta dig into your brain first for it to be appreciate it. So give it a few spins before passing judgement. it's pretty epic stuff.

7/10

107.) Shinedown- Amaryllis

....So very long gone are the days where Shinedown writes music that I would ever care about. This album proves that point even more. It feels like there is no integrity in this album at all, just a lot of cliche's. the music is performed good there is no denying that but its one of the most empty albums I've hard all year, which really sucks because I was a big Shinedown fan at one point. Oh well, at least there is still Good Radio Hard Rock still around.

3/10

108.) Cloudkicker- Fade

Another album that was in my Top 20 for quite some time. Cloudkicker is one of those types of bands where if they incorporated vocals, they would be the biggest band around....BUT, if that were to happen the music would feel so empty. Cloudkicker, now a full band took on the 90's grunge era as a big inspiration for this album, which was a pretty cool choice as it adds a lot of influences that weren't already in the Cloudkicker sound. While I do think the days of over the top Meshuggah lovin' is gone from Cloudkicker, that is all good with me as they are writing music from their own creation and making it just awesome. It's heavy, it's beautiful, it's Cloudkicker. I want nothing else.

9/10

109.) Moonloop- Deeply From The Earth

If you can't guess where the name of the band comes from....you are not a Prog fan. And yes there is a heavy influence from Porcupine Tree, but even a BIGGER influence from Opeth. In a way this is what I was hoping Storm Corrosion would have sounded like. It's insanely brilliant Progressive Death Metal. I really hope these guys can do a tour around these parts one day, if they get big enough. this would be huge opening for Opeth, or Agalloch and the likes. I heavily recommend this one.

9/10

110.) New Death Sensation- ...New Horizons...

If Animals As Leaders made Post Rock instead of Progressive Metal. A fantastic instrumental release that refuses to get boring. This has been a favorite album of mine this year since the second I finished the first listen, this is insanely good stuff for Prog and Post fans alike. Nothing is overdone hear, everything is purely tasteful and done right. Definitely check it out.

9/10

111.) Borknagar- Urd

Wanna know the secret to making your Progressive Black Metal band not suck? You make ICS Vortex your clean vocalist. This band has been on absolute FIRE since ICS Vortex has joined full time. You need no further proof than hearing hearing Urd. While yes, it is predominately Black Metal with Progressive Metal thrown in for good measure, like Enslaved, the clean vocals make it so much more epic and enjoyable than it already was. This is bound to get your girlfriend who loves Hot Topic very giggity upon first listen. Don't believe me? try it for yourself!

9/10

112.) Screaming Savior- Infinity

Chinese Symphonic Black Metal....it's just as sexy as it sounds. Lots of foreign to American ears instrumentation. Just like how everyone goes gaga (yeah I'm bringing that back, screw Lady Gaga) over CthoniC, this is how people should be for Screaming Savior. If they ever get the means to tour America they will blow people's heads off with their sheer brilliance. If you are an open minded music fan, listen to this on their bandcamp page, you will not regret it!

8/10

113.) Sylencer- A Lethal Dose Of Truth

The Thrash/Heavy Metal debut of the year. Pretty much all the biggest names in Metal have some kind of guest spot on this album, much too long to list without forgetting someone important. For a debut album this is beyond fantastic. There is so much dynamics and musicality amongst the pure heavy metal that is showcased. If they ever make this a full time project, this is the kind of band that should be opening for Metallica and getting the crowd going crazy! Do I even need to say if you are a Heavy metal fan that you need to check this out Immediately? well if I do....CHECK IT OUT NOW!!!

9/10

114.) Barren Earth- The Devil's Resolve

The Finnish Progressive Death Metal Supergroup is back with their second album. This is also sadly an album that I haven't been able to give it's fair share as it was released pretty damn early in the year. It is fantastic from start to finish and exactly what you would want from a supergroup like this. Progressive Doom Folk it's all there in the Opeth-y vibe they have. I simply love it, and you should too!

8/10

115.) If Trees Could Talk- Red Forest

If you need a textbook definition of heavy Post Rock, it's If Trees Could Talk. A very nature inspired Post Rock band that knows how to use dynamics to move you and shake you to the core. While yes every album from these guys does kinda have this same vibe, I think they have done it the best here. Excellent production and songwriting which creates a very surreal atmosphere. Its great stuff that should be heard.

7/10

116.) Holy Knights- Between Daylight and Pain

Epic Power Metal mixed with Thrash, no it's not Iced Earth or Demons and Wizards but it is pretty damn cool. it fits the mood when you want something thrashy in your Power Metal. A Blind Guardian meets Rhapsody vibe that works very well. While there has been better power Metal this year. Its really hard for me to knock this album, because there is no need to. These guys will only get bigger and better!

7/10

117.) West Of Hell- Spiral Empire

Miss the days of Painkiller style Heavy Metal? Well first of all bands inspired by Painkiller have never left and second it's featured very heavily by the band West Of Hell. Like other bands similar like Cage and 3 inches of Blood, Its a very good lethal does of Power Metal and Heavy Metal like Judas Priest laid down the foundation for so many years ago. Get your spiked leather jacket on and your Halford style sunglasses and of course some PBR to drink and party to Spiral Empire, it's an 80s throwback for the ages.

7/10

118.) De Profoundus- The Emptiness Within

A band that leaves me scratching my head in some ways, while I headbang, not a good combination to actually try, haha. Like a band I discovered and loved a few years ago, Wrath and Rapture, It feels somewhat like a hodgepodge of Metal going on in an epic battle metal type vibe. Lots of Progressive Thrash Folk, Black Metal going on but not done in a way you have heard before, or at least not often. Maybe if Mikael Akerfeldt back when he wasn't sick of Death metal joined up with Enslaved for an album? I think that is a very fair assessment. While this is actually much easier to digest than i have lead on, It is pretty damn progressive in the fact that it doesn't give you what you expect. Give it a shot if you can dig any of what I have said above!

8/10

119.) Don't Worry I'm A Doctor- Create. Divide. Consume

About one of the few if only Death metal albums I will ever enjoy. I had the honor of playing with these guys during my last REAL show back in November 2010 and i became a fan of the band ever since. It's not your typical only breakdowns and pig squeals Deathcore, it's much like the new Whitechapel album where it takes the idea of Deathcore and expands on it while still keeping that core element. It's not my favorite genre by any stretch of the imagination, but it is very cool stuff and if you want some Smart, Brutal Deathcore, support the local Minnesota scene and check these guys out!

7/10

120.) Axel Rudi Pell- Circle Of The Oath

80's inspired Heavy Metal with the element of Power Metal in the background. Axel does it again. I really dig this a lot. Its much more laid back and straight forward then your power Metal albums, but much heavier then 80's Glam Rock and Hard Rock. it's a good throwback to the days of your (or however it is spelled in this example). Give it a shot if you haven't heard Axel before because you should. And he is the one Axel that is guaranteed not to let you down with a Chinese Democracy.

7/10

20 more albums down. Will I do another 20 tonight? Maybe.