View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 PM
That Guy

11.) Xandria- Neverworld's End

One of the better Female Fronted Symphonic Metal bands around. I have a really hard time getting into this genre for the sheer operatic vocal style that is just really hard for me to handle for long periods of time. Xandria does it right though. It's not overbearing and fits right along with the music. While there is nothing really groundbreaking on this album it is a very solid piece of Symphonic Metal that those who enjoy the genre will love.

6/10

12.) Narrows- Painted

Mathcore that is somewhat understandable. Those who have created Mathcore in the past are the only ones capable of pulling this off right. and with the supergroup featuring members of Botch, These Arms are Snakes amongst other bands) have created what would sound like if Every Time I Die didn't have the poppy sections yet didn't try to be brutal either. they are just writing a genre they love to play, and it comes off fantastic. Intelligent, head bang worthy Mathcore. Not album of the year worthy, but a great listen.

6/10

13.) Coldworker- The Doomsayer's Call

Deathgrind, a style of music that is really hard to comprehend when listened to for the first time but after divulging in it, it makes all the sense in the world....of metal. Coldworker did it right on this album. Its not just Death Metal blasting and Grinding, there is a lot of dynamics on this album as well, which makes the music that much better. It fits the mood when you want some crazy spastic music, that makes sense. A very killer album!

7/10

14.) The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza- IIII: The Alpha- The Omega

I've always considered TTDTE to always have the Djent sound ever since their first album, this time around, they decided to make themselves a bit crazier with adding their Meshuggah vibe mixed with Psyopus (if you haven't heard of them....just listen to the guitars) Its quite an insane album. Those who love the genre will call it one of the best of the year. For me it's another album that can be only really enjoyed in small doses. it becomes a bit much if you listen to more then half an album at a time. Chaos is great....in small doses. That said, it is an awesome album and I dare say their best to date!

6/10

15.) Les Discrets- Ariettes Oubliees

A side project of Alcest for member Winterhalter. Les Discrets is a very Atmospheric Post Metal band. No screams in this band. This is the kind of album i do imagine Alcest making next year, with more of the Black Metal Blast Beats are now synonymous with Atmospheric Post Metal, or Blackgaze. There is a lot of emotion and heartfelt laying throughout this album and you can hear it in every song. It takes you on quite the journey if you go all the way through and doesn't let go. If you do enjoy the likes of Alcest, there is no reason not to love Les Discrets!

8/10

16.) Wretched- Son Of Perdition

Technical Death Metal and some breakdowns is an easy way to describe Wretched. but there is a lot more to them then that. The vibe I get from these guys is if The Faceless or BTBAM stayed only brutal. Sure, there are dynamics all over this album, but it is still very much in the brutal vein that it should stay in. They have only gotten bigger and bigger over the years and if they keep putting out albums with the same quality of Son Of Perdition, they will be one of the biggest bands of the genre. This is some badass stuff.

7/10

17.) Hung- Hung

*Insert random pen15 joke here* Hung is one of the most impressive bands I have heard in quite some time. Very much in the vein of predecessors to the genre, in Vain and Ne Obliviscaris, Hung take their brand of Progressive Death Metal to different dynamics and characteristics that really make them stand out. Everyone in the band is absolutely stellar at their instruments, which is part of what really makes this album stand out to me. I will be severely disappointed if these guys don't make it huge in the next few years, they really deserve it. And their self titled album is their best reason why.

8/10

18.) Stick To Your Guns- Diamond

Stick To Your Guns is one of the very few Hardcore bands that I love and care about. Their style of Hardcore is so damn pleasing to the ears. Diamond is done absolutely right, great dynamics, great songwriting, great everything. A very solid melodic hardcore album. If you can dig that, this will be right for you!

8/10

19.) 3 Inches Of Blood- Love Live Heavy Metal

With a name like Long Live Heavy metal, how can you NOT love this album? Well here's how....haha. Actually no, it is a fantastic album, and of course in the 3IOB style, it is all falsetto vocals, very power metalish. They aren't breaking any new ground on this album at all, but they don't need to. They know their style and they are fantastic at it, sometimes that's all you need a band to be, solid! Put on your leather Jacket, drink some cheap beer and party, LONG LIVE HEAVY METAL!

7/10

20.) Unleashed- Odalheim

Oh yes, Unleashed, one of the finest Swedish Death Metal bands to ever exist. These guys have everything to love about Death Metal and oh so much more! Viking and Pagan themed brutality, and Odalheim is exactly that. The songs sound absolutely killer, the production is top notch, and Unleashed is at the top of their game. A US tour with Amon Amarth or Enslaved couldn't hurt (HINT HINT....PLEASE). Honestly if you love Death metal that is not standard and boring and love a good epic battle death metal visual, get Odalheim, and if you haven't check out the rest of Unleashed's work!

8/10

And that's 20 albums down! I may be doing more tonight if the mood strikes!