View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 PM
That Guy

Alright, Let's Get Busy.

*Reminder, none of these albums are in any order, it is all randomized through iTunes. It is a rating scale out of 10, as I normally do. And honestly, if you don't see this or particular album it is either because they are in my Top 20, or I never knew it existed.*

1.) Circus Maximus- Nine

At first I wasn't a Circus Maximus fan. From what I heard on their first two albums I just thought of them as Dream Theater clones with no inspiration. But when Nine came out, I decided to give this one a real fair chance....and I'm glad I did. It didn't make my top 20 this year but It did make my top 30 for sure. there is so much Prog goodness going around, and they have found their own real true sound now. Nine is easily their most accessible album to date. If you need some really good Prog Metal from different sources. This is one that deserves your attention!

9/10

2.) The Night Flight Orchestra- Internal Affairs

Speed from Soilwork playing Classic Rock and 70's inspired Prog Rock, what honestly could be better? Internal Affairs seems to me has not been promoted much at all, and it should be. This is an absolute throw back 1975. Classic Guitar leads, catchy accessible Poppy Rock, Piano driven, some double bass. Boston meets Fleetwood Mac meets Yes Meets Elton John meets Thin Lizzy. Its overall just a real feel good album from beginning to end. For the classic Rock fans, or Soilwork fans who want something non-metal. Pick this up immediately!

8/10

3.) Del Ammand- Cosmic Gods Episode I: Hyperspeed

If Therion added Djent to their sound, Or Meshuggah played Power Metal, you get Del Ammand. Its the only way I know how to describe it. It's Symphonic Power Metal played on 7-8 strings. The idea of it is pretty awesome if done right. This wile pretty cool is a bit much to really take in upon first listen, it takes a bit of time to fully grasp everything going on on this album. I think by the time of their next album it might be a bit more digestible, but this album does feel like a cluster at times. I'm not saying its bad by any means, but just a bit too much going on. That said if you feel adventurous, check this one out.

6/10

4.) Vaura- Selenelion

Toby Driver playing bass with Dysrhythmia. Yeah it is as sexy as it sounds. It's a very experimental album. It combines the best of both worlds, the experimentation of Kayo Dot and maudlin of the Well, with the musicianship of Dysrhythmia. And it turns out fantastic. This is the kind of album where if you are like me, aren't too big into Kayo Dot and miss the maudlin of the Well days. This should be right up your alley. I love it.

8/10

5.) Apocalipsis- Apocalipsis

Instrumental Sludge Metal/Post Metal. One of the first, if not the first album I heard this year all the way back in January. It is a fantastic album to listen to in short doses. when listened to all the way through, it does get a bit one sided and almost bland. I think a lot of that has to do with the genre of music and lack of vocals. But when listen to 3-4 songs at a time. It is brilliant. Excellent musicianship and songwriting and one hell of a debut album.

6/10

6.) Black Pyramid- II

Somewhat like the name suggests, Black Pyramid is heavily influenced by Black Sabbath and Stoner/Sludge Doom Metal. Don't be scared, its all clean vocals. There is a lot of Stoner jams in, the last song alone is 15 minutes long. But the Sabbath, real Black Sabbath influence is undeniable here. It is a very good throw back to the late 70s Metal scene, and I am honestly surprised I don't hear more love for these guys. Its very catchy Heavy Metal that doesn't get boring. Iommi fans take notice!

7/10

7.) Black Breath- Sentenced To Life

Black Breath is a very Blacked Death Metal, Hardcore band. Its very high energy like Hardcore, but with an undeniable Blackened Death Metal overtone. The vocals unlike most music in this genre are very understandable and fit the music quite well. If you wanna hear a Venom, Slayer and early day Corrosion of Conformity mixture, it is Black Breath. And this album is no different. Its a great album to put on when you are pissed and wanna thrash for a good half hour or so. Again like most bands in this style, there is not much dynamics going on, but fits the mood when you need something chaotic.

6/10

8.) Gespenst- The Bloodline

Very dynamic Post Rock here. Unlike a lot of post Rock bands that do like to stay at the same tempo. Gespenst does actually change things up a bit here. They aren't reinventing the wheel, but what they do is pretty damn fantastic. It gets quite heavy at time, all while keeping the Post Rock edge, which is quite appreciated. This is definitely a band worth checking out for very dynamic Post Rock, which is absolutely needed more.

7/10

9.) Kayo Dot- Gamma Knife

Funny enough this does pop up so close to Vaura, and in the first 10 albums no less. This I do have to say is my favorite Kayo Dot album, but with that said, I'm still not really into it. The song, Rite Of Goetic Evocation is my favorite Kayo Dot song to date, and one of my favorite songs of the year, but the rest of the album/EP does really fall short to me. I miss maudlin of the Well so much, and Kayo Dot does try to continue on, but it's just not the same. If you are a Toby Driver fan, by all means give this a listen and buy it, but at the same time don't go in full expectations. Hopefully you do dig Rite Of Goetic Evocation.

4/10

10.) Propaghandi- Failed States

Very Heavy Politically influenced Punk Rock. When it comes to political bands. I don't like to hear music on either side of any issue, but at long as the music is good I can dig it. and that is thee case for Propaghandi. Its metal influenced amongst the Punk Rock vibe and it gels so very well together. Bad Religion meets Kill Em All era Metallica. That's definitely my bag, baby. If you the kind of person who is like me and doesn't like Politics in your music, just listen for it musically, I swear its worth it if you like Fast paced Metal influenced Punk Rock.

7/10

And that's it for now. I plan on doing this roughly 10 albums at a time, and there is bound to be at least 2 bands up there that you haven't really heard of before. That's a good start!

Will be back with more later....at some point!