View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
The quote above yours is the only real "discussion" of The Master in this entire thread. What the fuck were you reading?

Anyway, yesterday I did end up seeing the movie that has apparently caused Brad some serious butthurt in some way.

I liked it. I agree that both Phoenix and Hoffman deserve praise for their performances - no doubt about that. I also thought Amy Adams was great, but of course her role was much smaller. The writing was very good as well, but the primary issue I had with the film was that I couldn't quite decide what it was that the filmmakers were trying to tell me here. The story was compelling for sure, because I was anxiously waiting the whole time for some sort of resolution, but in the end all I seemed to have gotten out of it was that Hoffman was frustrated by the fact that he had finally found someone that he couldn't control with his mind games - although, to be sure, he had definitely had an effect on Phoenix's behavior to some degree, as evidenced by his mid-coitus attempt to "process" the stranger he'd just met.

tl;dr: Excellent acting, but what the fuck just happened, and why am I supposed to care?
I used a confusing double negative. What I meant was, WHERE IS ALL THE TALK ABOUT THE MASTER THAT SHOULD CLEARLY BE HERE.

Anyway, movie of the year, no question about it, come at me bros.