View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
The Master was outstanding. At the risk of sounding like a quote on a movie poster, Joaquin Phoenix's performance is mesmerizing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Let me get this straight. This thread's last ten pages aren't nothing but talk about "The Master." Maybe I should have stayed away after all.
The quote above yours is the only real "discussion" of The Master in this entire thread. What the fuck were you reading?

Anyway, yesterday I did end up seeing the movie that has apparently caused Brad some serious butthurt in some way.

I liked it. I agree that both Phoenix and Hoffman deserve praise for their performances - no doubt about that. I also thought Amy Adams was great, but of course her role was much smaller. The writing was very good as well, but the primary issue I had with the film was that I couldn't quite decide what it was that the filmmakers were trying to tell me here. The story was compelling for sure, because I was anxiously waiting the whole time for some sort of resolution, but in the end all I seemed to have gotten out of it was that Hoffman was frustrated by the fact that he had finally found someone that he couldn't control with his mind games - although, to be sure, he had definitely had an effect on Phoenix's behavior to some degree, as evidenced by his mid-coitus attempt to "process" the stranger he'd just met.

tl;dr: Excellent acting, but what the fuck just happened, and why am I supposed to care?

EDIT: Oh, and "Chronicle" was just as boring the first time when it was called "Cloverfield".

Last edited by Natrlhi; 10-08-2012 at 10:17 AM.