View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Guys. Seriously? I watched it with my wife last night, and she hated it. I didn't quite hate it - I appreciate what Whedon and company were trying to do here - but in the end I was rather unimpressed. For example, I couldn't have given a fuck less about the characters - and without that, it's hard to give a fuck about the plot or the movie itself, I think. You don't have to like them, but you have to want them to either survive or get shredded, right? I couldn't have cared less, though.

I mean, sure, it was a rather interesting twist and all that, and it was somewhat cool how they made it funny and creepy at the same time, but...I don't know. I just felt like it was all just a cheap attempt at manipulating me into being impressed because nothing like that had ever been done before...but my question is, "so what?"

I guess 91% of critics would disagree with me here, according to Rotten Tomatoes, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about, other than the fact that the movie took a tired old genre and shook it up a bit. Whedon gets points for that, in my book, but that doesn't make this a can't-live-without-it-in-my-DVD-catalog type of film. Speaking of which, it also occurs to me that this film has zero repeat viewing appeal, because once the cat is out of the bag, what's the point in watching it again?

To each his / her own, I guess. :shrug:
Dead Serious.

I cared about the characters in the movie for better or worse. I wanted the main chick to live because she's very hot. and the stoner to live because he's one of my favorite actors, although that obviously doesn't apply to everyone. Also, I wanted the black guy to die because he was basically just a cardboard cutout and wasn't interesting. Thor and blondie were somewhere in the middle likability wise for me.

I love the satire of traditional horror movies displayed throughout. I like when a movie can not take itself too seriously while still being firmly planted in its respective genre.

I saw the movie twice in theaters and was completely enthralled both times and considered going to see it third time, but couldn't find the time. To me at least, the movie is just entertaining all the way through. I can't think of a bad scene that was awkward or anything less than entertaining. Also, the main selling point to make it so great, in my opinion, was the ending, like the very end. Maybe I'm just a really nihilistic, misanthropic person (also probably why I held God Bless America in such high esteem), but I love, love, LOVE that ending and have wished for countless movies before it to end like that. It also helped that I hold a lot of the actors in high repute (Fran Kranz, Amy Acker, Richard Jenkins, Chris Hemsworth).
9/6 Weekend Nachos
9/12 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation

Last edited by kalfitegrdan; 10-03-2012 at 04:09 AM.