View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
...Cabin In The Woods is phenomenal, haven't enjoyed a film like that in a LOOOOOONG time. Top class entertainment! Will need to re-watch before I'm certain, but it could be my new favorite film. It's definitely top 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Oh my god, I fucking can't get over how much I loved this movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Seen Cabin In The Woods again tonight, I went with some friends who hadn't seen it, and it is still as as the first time, having a crisis of faith with it and my favorite film, Dawn of the Dead, the original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Of the movies I've seen so far:

1. Cabin in the Woods
2. The Avengers
3. Chronicle
4. 21 Jump Street
5. Jeff, Who Lives at Home
6. The Grey
7. Safe House
8. This Means War
9. Underworld: Awakening
10. Haywire
11. A Thousand Words
12. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
13. Contraband (The worst by a very large margin)
Guys. Seriously? I watched it with my wife last night, and she hated it. I didn't quite hate it - I appreciate what Whedon and company were trying to do here - but in the end I was rather unimpressed. For example, I couldn't have given a fuck less about the characters - and without that, it's hard to give a fuck about the plot or the movie itself, I think. You don't have to like them, but you have to want them to either survive or get shredded, right? I couldn't have cared less, though.

I mean, sure, it was a rather interesting twist and all that, and it was somewhat cool how they made it funny and creepy at the same time, but...I don't know. I just felt like it was all just a cheap attempt at manipulating me into being impressed because nothing like that had ever been done before...but my question is, "so what?"

I guess 91% of critics would disagree with me here, according to Rotten Tomatoes, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about, other than the fact that the movie took a tired old genre and shook it up a bit. Whedon gets points for that, in my book, but that doesn't make this a can't-live-without-it-in-my-DVD-catalog type of film. Speaking of which, it also occurs to me that this film has zero repeat viewing appeal, because once the cat is out of the bag, what's the point in watching it again?

To each his / her own, I guess. :shrug: