View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I believe you meant to say this tour is for the '80s era fans. This is certainly not something for diehard fans.

You don't want to hear any bitching? Then you should probably not read any Rush threads here or elsewhere until the tour is over. It's inevitable that people are going to complain about that because a lot of fans consider it to be some of their best work. Maybe you don't mind that they're skipping most of their early material, but if you can't see why somebody else would be disappointed by that then you might need to see where you land on an empathy test. And of course Geddy doesn't sound as great as he did so many years ago, but that doesn't mean you just ignore a major chunk of your work. I'm not denying that he likely has to sing differently to get through some of the more challenging sections, but you're making it seem like he sounds horrible, which he doesn't at all. If that was the case then I doubt they would have played old songs on any of the tours of the past decade. As for your reasoning that we should just be happy that we get to see them, these are valid complaints and to discredit them by saying people are ungrateful is asinine.
Yes, it is a tour for the diehard fans. Who else is gonna know these songs but them? As far as the 70s stuff goes, I love that era but for almost 30 years now they have played a very limited selection of songs from it. Do you think they just skip that stuff for no good reason? It's obvious that Geddy can't or just doesn't wanna sing that high anymore. At first he probably just didn't want to, but as the years have gone by it's because he can't hit those insanely high notes like he used to. I don't think some people realize how high his voice was back then. Even with downtuning and rearranging he still struggles sometimes to do the couple of songs they do play regluarly like 2112 and CTTH.

Most stuff from Permanet Waves onward Geddy can still sing all right. But you can hear on the new album how much his range has diminished. It would be great of they did play more from the 70s but even Geddy has said himself he sounds horrible when he sings the stuff now. For the R30 tour they rehearsed A Farewell To Kings but Geddy couldn't sing it right so it was dropped. If he couldn't do that song eight years ago there's no way he could pull off most of the stuff from that decade now.

The reason I don't consider people complaining about the lack of 70s material as a valid one is because this is nothing new for Rush. They said goodbye to most of their 70s catalog by the mid 80s. If it was something recent then yes the complaint would have some merit. But at this point the fans should've already accepted it and move on. They aren't playing anything from the 70s and that's not changing anytime soon.

I honestly don't think Rush has long left though. I believe Rush will have one more tour in 2014 to celebrate their 40th anniversary and that will be it for them. Maybe they'll go all out and play more 70s material then, but don't expect the vocals to sound too good.