View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Because why have one festival that makes more money and one festival that makes less money when the two can be combined (if it's even fair to call this a "combined festival")? If one combined makes more than the two it doesn't make sense to have two. They're probably doing this anticipating this year's festival will be more productive than having the two like they have in the past. And they're probably right.

Summer Slam in '10 had ABRB and Oceano. Spring Breakdown in '11 had Chelsea Grin, Oceano and For Today. Southern Cal Deathfest had Cattle Decapitation and a bunch of bands with insignificant draw. Then again, I'm not sure how much these bands draw in Southern Cal, but none of those festivals even compare to this one. This festival is the motherload. The draw will be enormous.
You missed my point. I'm not opposed to them doing a bunch of small -core festivals each year or one giant one. I was simply pointing out that they didn't just now realize the money was in the metalcore/deathcore bands and not the metal bands. They had been booking these festivals while also booking California Metalfest, which sold very well both years I attended. Obviously focusing on a big -core festival will make them more money, but why did they have to stop booking metal? They've just turned their backs on it. And it's a shame, because with how much they've expanded (judging by all of the big bands on this lineup), they could have put together a really awesome metal festival if they wanted.

Last edited by treghet; 09-07-2012 at 10:20 AM.