View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Thank you for the compliment! You're right, the thrash resurgence really was a pretty short thing. I remember in high school, shows with really killer bills used to happen every weekend and now the shows that do happen are all over the place in terms of the music represented and have crappy turnouts.
I'm pretty jealous that you were right in the heart of it. In Toronto we pretty much only have Fatality (who are awesome, but not enough for tons of thrash shows).

Quote:
Hatchet really are a damn good band, and they're always a treat to see live. It really is sad though that the peak of success that a thrash band can reach these days is the level of Warbringer or Municipal Waste, and from what I know those guys barely pay their bills. Hopefully now that Orchid signed with Nuclear Blast more labels will be looking for Bay Area bands to sign. There are some amazingly talented acts here, but I feel like no label wants to even check them out.
I think the problem is that thrash just can't be as big as it used to be with death metal around. The people that love thrash really love it, but it seems like most metal fans only like some of the old stuff, and even then, most of them don't dig too deep in thrash. I guess it makes sense; there's more extreme stuff in death and black metal, and more melodic stuff in power metal. Personally though, I don't see any genre being more intense or better than thrash. It's just unfortunate that none of those bands can make any money at this point.