View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 07:47 AM
N00B

Summer Slaughter -- Philadelphia, PA -- August 5th, 2012

Drank a few beers at my place with a buddy before heading to Westmont train station. About halfway over to our stop another one of my friends joined us and had beer in tow. Knocked those back then hoped off the train and walked to the Troc, we got in the venue a little after 6:30. We checked out the merch, used the bathroom, and then headed towards the stage. Now according to the set list times I saw on the Cannibal Corpse Facebook page Veil of Maya was supposed to be on stage until 6:55 with Periphery going on at 7:10. But for whatever reason Periphery was on their 2nd to last song which bummed me out because I would’ve like to see their full set being I just got their newest album and enjoy it. I don’t know why the times changed, maybe one of the other bands didn’t play earlier in the day. From the two songs I did hear they sounded pretty tight.

Anyway up next was the Faceless, I’ve heard good things about these guys but never checked out any of their stuff. They were awesome, the crowd was going ape shit for them with a huge pit and a lot of crowd surfing. Their set was the same as the other nights so I won’t post it here, I would’ve enjoyed additional songs from them but I guess that’s what a headlining tour is for. Not long after their set I headed over to their merch booth to buy one of their albums. The lead singer happened to be standing right in front of the counter area where I needed to be to check out their stuff and when I walked towards him he jumped back with his hands up and went “Whoa!! Whoa! Take it easy!” to which I replied “I’m buying one of your stupid cds so move!” which he chuckled at. The only cd they had for sale was Planetary Duality which I grabbed for $10.00. I would’ve pre-ordered their new one but wasn’t given the option anywhere.

We went upstairs during Between the Buried and Me to grab beers and chill, from where we were (the bar) you can’t see the stage but from what I heard they sounded good. I only own their newest album and haven’t given it the proper attention just yet so I can’t really offer more feedback on them. As their set was ending we snuck in Jager shots and headed downstairs where I grabbed a Cannibal Corpse t-shirt (black shirt, w/ Cannibal Corpse in red letters w/ dates on the back) for $20.00. Wanted to grab the Centuries of Torment DVD but it was $30.00 and I figured I could find it cheaper on Amazon, and if any Corpse fans could offer me feedback on the DVD I’d appreciate it.

This would be my second time seeing CC, the first was the 2009 Mayhem Festival in Camden and I was new to them then. Over the past couple years I’ve followed them closer and own their last 3 albums and select songs from their pre-Corpsegrinder days. The energy they manage to put out there during a live show is amazing, my neck started to hurt just watching Corpsegrinder I was waiting for his head to roll off stage. From beginning to end it was brutal and I enjoyed every note. The pit was just as brutal as the music as it went the entire set and the band seemed to appreciate the response. Next time they do a headlining tour (where I assume they’d play longer) I’m definitely going to check it out.