View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 06:40 AM
not the mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
I consider a lot of these bands against the context of normative metal culture, and it results in them being placed in macro categories -- fair or not -- outside Metal. It's not a judgment on the quality of their music, only on their place in the musical universe as I see it. In my iTunes, Primus is tagged Alternative -- even though to me, Primus is just Primus / unique.

Forget for a moment that Funk Metal has the word metal in it. And screw what others think it is. Consider the music and scene. Is that really metal? Formative years of many of these bands? Primus in particular? Was that really metal?

What do you think? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Personally I don't really care if something makes an impact on the metal scene in order to be considered metal. Metal can mix with many different musical styles and even if it's not completely metal, I wouldn't take a metal tag away from. Many avant-garde metal acts like Maudlin of the Well can range from mixing classical tracks to straight up death metal tracks, or mix both in the same track. Regardless if they belonged to a particular scene or not, or if their albums aren't completely composed of metal riffs, people are still going to consider them metal.