View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 04:09 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
Fair enough, constructive.

From Wikipedia"Funk metal is a subgenre of funk rock that fuses elements of heavy metal and funk. Allmusic has claimed that "funk metal evolved in the mid-'80s when alternative bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fishbone began playing the hybrid with a stronger funk underpinning than metal." Interesting in same introduction... "Primus, a band that has never had a clear genre, ...".

Looking at Funk Rock, there is clearly something else more ( a lot more) going on in terms of influences than metal.

I consider a lot of these bands against the context of normative metal culture, and it results in them being placed in macro categories -- fair or not -- outside Metal. It's not a judgment on the quality of their music, only on their place in the musical universe as I see it. In my iTunes, Primus is tagged Alternative -- even though to me, Primus is just Primus / unique.

Forget for a moment that Funk Metal has the word metal in it. And Screw what others think it is. Consider the music and scene. Is that really metal? Formative years of many of these bands? Primus in particular? Was that really metal?

What do you think? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
I've never thought of Primus as a metal band, and funk metal really isn't metal to me. Same goes for rap metal. The genre does have a little bit of metal influence, but it's so minute that I don't think it's enough to warrant calling it "metal".