View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Do you know what the capacity of the venue they played in was? I've noticed that they got booked in some bigger venues this tour that they have no chance of selling out now or even at the height of their popularity in the past.
It's probably cheaper for the promoter (Live Nation) to book them into the venues that they own (mostly large theaters and amphitheaters), instead of booking them into appropriately-sized venues that they don't own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
I guess their popularity might be waning a bit but still it makes a band look bad when they're booked to play venues that are too big for them and there ends up being a lotof empty seats. Maybe losing Portnoy lost some fans, the vaule of him as the bands spokesman was huge and maybe him not being there talking the band up all the time is hurting them to. It could also be possible that everyone just decided to spend their money on Maiden this summer and skip seeing Dream Theater.
I mentioned this in another Dream Theater thread, but I think there could be other reasons for the decline in attendance:

They aren't varying the setlists anymore, so there's no incentive for fans to attend multiple shows. I used to go to 2 or 3 Dream Theater shows every year, now I'm only going to 1 per year.

Increase in ticket prices. When I saw them in 2006/2007/2008, ticket prices were $55. Now they're $80. That's a 45% increase. Granted, they do have a bigger stage/light show now. But I'm not sure a 45% increase in ticket prices over a 4-year period is warranted during an economic downturn.