View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 04:13 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
You're kidding yourself if you think the guys in Slaye aren't financially secure at this point. Since RIB they have been one of the most consistanly successful and in demand metal bands in the world. While their albums don't sell what they used to, they still sell very respectable. Between Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax, Slayer is the band that has maintained the bulk of their fanbase through the years. The reason they keep touring is because the demand is always there from fans to see them. Also, when you've been doing that for 30 years, you know nothing else except to go tour because that's how you make your money. Just look at all the big tours they've been on the last few years. They're co-headlining mayhem for the second time and they've had tours with Megadeth and Rob Zombie and let's not forget about the big four stuff either. It doesn't seem to me the band is having much of a cash flow problem unless the individual members are just bad with money and don't know how to manage it. Otherwise, it appears to me that the band is doing just fine financially. They haven't had too many down periods either and they've always been good at keeping their name out there.
I guess I'm just being needlessly skeptic. I know that the guys in Slayer are probably pretty well off financially, hell they're probably one of the most merchandised metal bands around. I'm not saying they have a cash flow problem either, what I am saying though is that unless they were really smart with their money and have a ton saved, they probably can't retire at their age. Again, in Tom's case he has a family, which means he's got expenses all over the place. If I remember right, you've got a few years on me so you'd certainly know this better than I would, but from what I understand, having a really good cash flow for 25 years doesn't mean you can just stop working and retire at age 50 and have a comfortable lifestyle for yourself and your family for the rest of your life. My whole point is that as long as the Slayer dudes have reasonably high expenses that require them to keep earning money (families being the obvious one), then I don't think we have to worry about them ending their touring. I mean, Randy Blythe apparently earns under 200k a year and LoG is one of the most successful modern metal bands around. What he probably earns is still really really high by most standards, but he probably isn't a multimillionaire or anything crazy.

Then again, what do I know, I'm just a 19 year old college student. I could very well be full of shit. (And if I am, you're more than welcome to point it out haha)