View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
As much as he may miss home, if we wants to feed his family and put his kids through college, he's gonna keep touring whether he likes it or not. From what I understand, Metallica are pretty much the only full-time metal musicians that could retire and do nothing for the rest of their lives. Everyone else either has day jobs that help pay the bills when they're not on tour (Testament, Heathen etc) or tour constantly so that they can be full-time musicians (Slayer, Exodus etc).

tl;dr Slayer aren't gonna stop touring anytime soon.
You're kidding yourself if you think the guys in Slaye aren't financially secure at this point. Since RIB they have been one of the most consistanly successful and in demand metal bands in the world. While their albums don't sell what they used to, they still sell very respectable. Between Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax, Slayer is the band that has maintained the bulk of their fanbase through the years. The reason they keep touring is because the demand is always there from fans to see them. Also, when you've been doing that for 30 years, you know nothing else except to go tour because that's how you make your money. Just look at all the big tours they've been on the last few years. They're co-headlining mayhem for the second time and they've had tours with Megadeth and Rob Zombie and let's not forget about the big four stuff either. It doesn't seem to me the band is having much of a cash flow problem unless the individual members are just bad with money and don't know how to manage it. Otherwise, it appears to me that the band is doing just fine financially. They haven't had too many down periods either and they've always been good at keeping their name out there.

The other bands I could see having day jobs though. Testament had a long layoff between The Gathering and The Formation Of Damnation, so it's not surprising the members would have something else. Heathen is no shocker either since they haven't been on the metal radar in well, ever.