View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Optic

Iron Maiden -- Wantagh, NY -- June 27th, 2012

What a great show! I've seen Maiden twice before, and given that it's been a couple of months since my last show, I was really looking forward to this.

Alice Cooper hit the stage at 7:30. While I feel like it would've been so much better to see him later, when it was dark, his show was awesome. His whole band has great presence, not to mention chops. This was a great package. Two triple guitar bands in one night!

Setlist was the same as MA.

After a half hour or so, "Doctor Doctor" starts to play and immediately the crowd was getting pumped. When the stage exploded as the band came out with "Moonchild", the cheers were so loud that for a second or two I couldn't hear the band.

As it turns out, it wasn't the crowd as much as it was a rather poor mix. Steve Harris's bass was virtually inaudible during most of the show. All 3 guitars were extremely muddy at many points, and the drums were essentially just bass and snare with the other drums being drowned out. This persisted through the entire show.

It might be in part due to the wind blowing the speakers back and forth, but the absence of bass at a maiden gig was really bothersome to me. The muddiness would come and go, however.

Despite this, the band played amazingly and the show was fantastic on their behalf. I will say, though, Bruce looked like he was a bit frustrated with our crowd. On multiple "Scream for Me" moments, it seemed like maybe a quarter of the crowd even reacted. Bruce would call us out and try to pump us up, but it seemed like a lot of his efforts were lost on the crowd.

I don't think it was a bad crowd, honestly, because between songs, before and after the show, people were going crazy. I think that the bad sound made it really hard for people to understand Bruce's banter, especially during songs, so people just didn't know what he was trying to do.

One great crowd moment: Bruce says, "We're playing in New Jersey on Monday and--" immediately cut off by almost the entire audience booing. This happened every time he said "New Jersey". It was really funny.

The set was, as you probably guessed, the same, and by the same, I mean it was phenomenal. No complaints about the choice of songs. Bruce, though not without some flaws, sang amazingly and continues to prove that at 53 he is a better singer, and showman than most can ever hope to be.

I give the show an 8/10. This could have been one of the best shows I've ever been to given the set and the band's energy, but the sound problems destroyed that, to be honest. If I'm at an Iron Maiden show and I have to struggle to hear Steve Harris, that's unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Don't miss this one!!

http://www.facebook.com/Opticbandus