View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

SUNDAY

Sunday was my chill-out day. I finished up my merch shopping early in the morning, and left to watch Canadian hardcore band Cancer Bats. In brief, Cancer Bats disappointed me. When Hail Destroyer came out in 2008, I backed the shit out of that record. However, their live performance doesn't own up to the ass-kickery that they have on their recordings.

Sabotage [Beastie Boys]
Trust No One
Pray for Darkness
Bricks & Mortar
Pneumonia Hawk
Sorceress
Sleep This Away
Breathe Armageddon
Lucifer's Rocking Chair
Road Sick
Hail Destroyer
R.A.T.S.

Next up were my favorite hard rockers of the 21st century, the Black Spiders. These guys are fucking amazing; if you haven't listened to their debut album Sons of the North, do it NOW. I'd say I enjoyed their performance at Graspop last year a bit more than I did this year, but being more familiar with their songs this time around, I got to scream my lungs out to 'What Good's a Rock Without a Roll', 'KISS Tried to Kill Me', and 'Stay Down'. I didn't recognize their first and fourth songs of the set, however, so I'm hoping that gets cleared up soon.

Si, El Diablo
Stay Down
Just Like a Woman
(Unknown)
What Good's a Rock Without a Roll?
KISS Tried to Kill Me
Blood of the Kings

I took an hour-long break afterwards, and left to see Europe. In truth, I hadn't planned on actually paying much attention to them; I just wanted a spot up front for when Killswitch Engage began their set. However, Europe proved to be the biggest surprise of the weekend, with a set full of kickass songs, all of which were better than 'The Final Countdown'. Here's an incomplete set:

Riches to Rags
Not Supposed to Sing the Blues
Firebox
Superstitious
Scream of Anger
Demon Head
Rock the Night
The Beast
Prelude
Last Look at Eden
The Final Countdown

Killswitch-motherfucking-Engage is the name of the heroes of the day, ladies and gents. KSE were absolutely phenomenal; Leach's vocals never dropped under a 10/10. I complained earlier this year about Howard's departure from the band, and I couldn't be more wrong; Jesse is perfect. I yelled the lyrics to every song in the set at the top of my lungs, and managed to find moments to headbang my neck off, too. Later that day I'd meet the members of the band, and find Jesse to be the nicest/coolest dude I've met in metal. Absolutely terrific guys. Stoked to see them in 2013 whenever it is they'll come to Russia. Turns out this is Jesse's first European tour with the band, too. Fucking amazing; second best band of the weekend for sure.

Fixation on the Darkness
Rose of Sharyn
Numbered Days

This Is Absolution (Jesse: "This is fucking awesome; awesome weather, awesome bands, an awesome audience! What more could you want?" Johnny: "My balls on your chin!")
Self Revolution
The Arms of Sorrow
Take This Oath
Life to Lifeless
A Bid Farewell
My Curse (Johnny: "[insert heartfelt speech about supporting us, blah blah blah] ...that said, this song is about your mother's cunt!")
The End of Heartache
My Last Serenade
Holy Diver [Dio]

I then left to watch Jon Oliva's Pain. The same circumstances apply to them as the ones for Europe, and the same results, too. I'll definitely give Savatage a listen sometime, but man: lose some weight

Gutter Ballet [Savatage]
Edge of Thorns [Savatage]
24 Hrs. Ago [Savatage]
Beyond the Doors of the Dark [Savatage]
Strange Wings [Savatage]
Legions [Savatage]
The Price You Pay [Savatage]
Devastation [Savatage]
White Witch [Savatage]
Hall of the Mountain King [Savatage]
Believe [Savatage]

After Pain finished up, I heard the roar of the crowd at the mainstage as Machine Head came out. Assured a place in the front row for Behemoth by a new friend of mine, I left the marquee to watch Rob Flynn and co. play Graspop for the first time in ten years from the autograph booth as I awaited the members of KSE. I heard everything from 'Locust' to 'Davidian', and from what I heard, they were great. I really want to see Machine Head for once at a headlining show rather than at a festival appearance, but until then, it seems every chance to see them will be half-assed from my side of the deal.

I Am Hell (Sonata in C#)
Old
Imperium
Beautiful Mourning
Locust
Aesthetics of Hate
Halo
Davidian

After Machine Head finished up, on came Behemoth. Unfortunately, this was a massive disappointment; not because of the band or their performance, per se, but because of the sound set-up. The same issues that plagued Eluveitie's returned here, amplified (both in scope and in volume) due to the frequent use of the bass drum in Behemoth's music. I hope I get another chance to see them in a good environment soon, because until then, that's what I have to remember Behemoth live by.

Ov Fire and the Void
Demigod
Conquer All
Christians to the Lions
Alas, Lord Is Upon Me
At the Left Hand ov God
Slaves Shall Serve
Chant for Eschaton 2000

Lucifer

My last band of the weekend was a band I had already seen before, Finland's Children of Bodom. Though their set had the same issue as previously mentioned, I figured out that to block out the drone of the faulty monitor all that was necessary was to put in earplugs. I did so, and spent the rest of their set headbanging like there was no tomorrow (which if you think about it, makes sense.) Laiho seemed happy for once, and the audience was going batshit crazy; like I mentioned in my review for Alestorm, only during COB's set did the crowdsurfing get 'worse'. I was disappointed that I once more didn't get to hear 'Are You Dead Yet?' and 'Bed of Razors', but 'Deadnight Warrior' was an awesome treat. Halfway through the set all of the band left except the keyboardist, at which point he began playing 'I'm So Ronery' from Team America Laiho: "What the fuck are you playing?" Janne: "I'm So Lonely from Team America..." Laiho: "Why the fuck are you playing that?" Janne: "...you guys all left "

Warheart
Hate Me!
Silent Night, Bodom Night

Shovel Knockout
Needled 24/7
Everytime I Die

Deadnight Warrior
Angels Don't Kill

In Your Face
Blooddrunk

Downfall
Hate Crew Deathroll
3/15 Gogol Bordello

Last edited by brutal_descent; 06-26-2012 at 03:40 AM.