View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
How was the attendance for the show? I've been reading some reviews where people are saying that their shows are drawing less than the band used to in the past. Last Sunday when I saw them about 1,000 people were there in a venue that fits around 3,000 or so.

It seems that they're also getting booked to play some bigger amphitheater venues this summer that fit like 5 or 6 thousand each. I'm not sure why the promoters would do that since at no point in the bands history have they ever been able to fill venues of that size on their own. I wonder if Portnoy not being the spokesman for the band is affecting ticket sales in some places or fans in general are just losing a bit of interest in the band?
Sometimes bands want to play outside and/or promoters just stick them outside since its summertime, and unfortunately most outdoor amphitheaters are “arena” sized, even if the band’s playing them don’t draw that large of an audience.

The emptiest amphitheater show I ever saw had to be Black Sabbath with Tony Martin in 1995. They played the First Midwest Bank Amphitheater (then called the New World Music Theater) in suburban Chicago (Tinley Park to be exact). The amphitheater holds 28,000 and there couldn’t have been more than 2,000-3,000 people there … it was totally empty. Since then they have built the smaller Charter One Pavilion, but at the time the FMBA was just about the only place to play outside and I guess either the band or the promoter really wanted the show outside. Either way, it was very disheartening to see the show in such an empty venue.