View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 AM
N00B

Dream Theater -- Chicago, IL -- June 23rd, 2012

Dream Theater were high on my list of bands that I wanted to see live. I'm glad yesterday happened to be the date the concert fell on as I was envious that my best friend and her boyfriend were in St. Paul, MN seeing Tool, another band that is very high on my list of bands I want to see live, at River's Edge Music Festival.

My mom drove down to Chicago and attended the show with me. I go to many shows with her because of my fear of driving and because she's the most unbiased concertgoer I know.

Anyway, on to my actual review. Crimson ProjeKct was the opening band and played a 47 minute set from 7:25-8:11. I don't know the setlist, as I haven't listened to any King Crimson albums. But, I was glad to see them live as Adrian Belew was in the band and I love his work with Frank Zappa, his work on the David Bowie album Lodger, and his guest appearances on three Nine Inch Nails albums.

Dream Theater (8:39-10:46)-
Bridges In The Sky
6:00
The Dark Eternal Night
This Is The Life
The Root Of All Evil
Lost Not Forgotten
A Fortune In Lies
Surrounded
On The Backs Of Angels
War Inside My Head
The Test That Stumped Them All
The Spirit Carries On
Breaking All Illusions

ENCORE:
Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper

^ Great show with virtuoso musicianship. I was just stoked that they kept my all time favorite DT song Metropolis, Pt. 1 as the closer since the beginning of this US Leg of the tour. The segue from On The Back Of Angels into the War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All was incredible too. James LaBrie sounded great on A Fortune In Lies too, will have to get the When Dream And Day Reunite official bootleg when I have more money so I can see him sing more of the Charlie Dominici era songs.
Bastille (10/18)