View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

41. Death Grips - Ex-Military

Not that anyone was previously aware of this, but I have been a selective fan of rap music since I discovered an outfit called N.W.A. during my freshman year at college. Over the years, I have enjoyed the lyrical and rhythmic stylings of such various artists as Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, Ice T, Public Enemy, Geto Boys and many others. In short, I have heard lots of rap music. I havenít dug every single thing Iíve heard, but I would definitely say Iíve liked a variety of different styles. However, when a bunch of folks on this forum started making a big deal about this group / album last year, I decided to check it out. All I can say is, I donít think Iíve ever heard anything like it Ė and thatís saying a lot. I mean, this definitely isnít the first time electric guitars have been used in rap before (Body Count did it decades ago), but never before have I heard them featured quite like this. Plus, the rhymes are sick, the beats are infectious, the lyrics are insane but compelling, the samples are extremely well-placed and used to excellent effect (I heard both The Prodigy and Beastie Boys in the one track, and Pet Shop Boys in another!), and the heavy inclinations towards an electronic-inspired sound are all welcome departures from typical rap music. In short, this music is definitely a breath of fresh air in a genre which has become somewhat stagnated with scads of wannabes and sound-alikes. These cats are innovators Ė blazing new territory with confidence and fierce determination Ė and the result of their collective passion is one of the most interesting albums Iíve heard in any genre for quite some time.