View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

42. Omega Massif - Karpatia

I first discovered this band a few years ago when I was searching for more post-metal and / or heavy instrumental music to sink my hungry teeth into. Now mind you, this German quartet is labeled as sludge and not exactly post-metal, but in their case I think the line between the two distinctions is rather blurry. To wit, there are moments of fierce up-tempo pounding on this album that definitely fit more in the sludge genre than in post-metal, but there are also three of the six songs on this album which are at least ten minutes long, and the pacing on some of those is much more like something Isis or Mouth of the Architect would do rather than Eyehategod or Acid Bath. At any rate, regardless of what genre they best fit into, this band definitely knows how to keep it heavy. Their first full-length left me a little underwhelmed, but this one grabbed me more strongly. I can hear bits and pieces of some of my favorite bands such as Cult of Luna in this material, and at the same time, these guys seem to have a style which is also almost completely their own, which is to say that I don't think I've heard anything else that's exactly like it. Anyhow, if you're looking for something heavy as fuck, with absolutely no vocals, and don't mind the speed of the ride changing from a nice gallop to an almost maddeningly slow crawl (and back again) from time to time, then go ahead and check this out. A word of caution, though - you have to strap in for this one. Ten or fifteen minutes isn't going to cut it - you have to be down for the full ride, or this isn't going to make much sense. If you are properly prepared, however, this album is a pretty powerful trip.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 06-20-2012 at 08:10 PM.