View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 PM
...the dead are among us!

My thoughts on what I saw Thursday:

Mass Grave - Dual vocalists lead Mass Graveís hardcore/grindcore assault. I hadnít checked them out before the show and was impressed by their live show. Great band to kick off the fest.

Innumerable Forms - These guys have been on at least one CiT before and are more on the death metal side of things. The guy playing guitar for Innumerable Forms, Chris Ulsh, is best known as the frontman/guitarist/vocalist for Mammoth Grinder and those are just two of five bands he played in during this fest. (also Hatred Surge, Power Trip and The Impalers)

Phobia - Itís rare to see this veteran band with the same lineup twice. Their frontman Shane essentially is Phobia with a revolving door of great grind musicians for the records and live shows. On this fest they performed as a three piece, but in a live setting their songs really donít need a bass. The crowd seemed to be pretty familiar with their stuff and they were the first band of the night that had people moshing throughout their whole set. Opening with ĎBring The Warí is always awesome. I know Phobia's set also included 'Contest To Amend' and 'Rehashed'.

Gas Chamber - I guess you would call these guys experimental grindcore. They would use more traditional rock song structures with grind elements interspersed but not in a gimmicky or forced way. Iím not really accurately describing them, but they made for an engaging and intense show.

Whitehorse - I enjoyed this sludgy doom band from Australia, but alongside the speed of the other bands they seemed to slow the night down too much for the crowd. They got a much better reception at the Dragged Into Sunlight show on Sunday.

No Statik - This female fronted hardcore punk band played a great high energy set that speed things back up ahead of Nasum. They were another act that a good portion of the crowd was really going nuts for, a ton of fun to watch. I think they were one of the hardest working bands of the weekend playing at least 4, maybe 5 times.

Nasum - Nasum needs no introduction and were hands down the best band of the night. The crowd was pretty rowdy during their whole set; nothing extremely violent or too crazy, but healthy stagediving and moshing throughout. The band sounded great and looked like they were having a blast. They had the singers from Mass Grave come out for a song. Pretty cool to be at the last North American Nasum show ever.
8/25 - BAT / Shitfucker ?
8/30 - Morbid Saint / Vektor