View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
"Without music, life would be a mistake" - Nietzsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
I'm not an Opeth fan but I respect what they do and they are all very talented players. However, for me their music amounts to less than the sum of it's parts. I just can't get interested in it. I watched the first 3 songs from the rail and then gave up my spot because I was tired and had to piss bad..
Have you seen them before? Because I saw them on the Heritage tour (my 7th time seeing them) and it was actually what I thought to be their weakest performance and setlist out of all those shows I had seen. Opeth is kind of one of those bands where if you have a really good first impression of them you will love them, or , in your case, if you see them and have a shitty experience you probably won't like them. Their shows in the past were full of energy and I always loved seeing them, but something about this last round of tours is off. I think it might be Mikael's attitude towards the fans or the fact that he thinks he is invincible by putting out a record that "everyone will hate" just because he can. Either way, I feel how they are now is not representative of what they usually sound like live. It's unfortunate that they have kind of ended up this way, but oh well. If you have the patience, I highly recommend checking out any of their live DVDs to give you a better since of what they can do live.