View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 PM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Anyone have any recommendations as to what Melvins albums I should listen to first?
Honestly, anything from the 1990's is their best work, IMO. Although it's not my favorite album by them, Houdini is the best place to start. It gives you the whole picture of the Melvins; straight-up rock, sludge and fucked-up experimentation, all in one album. After that try some more of their accessible work like Stoner Witch, Stag and three three latest albums with the Big Business guys as their drummer and bass player ((A) Senile Animal, Nude With Boots and the Bride Screamed Murder). None of those albums are their best albums but are the easiest to get into. If you like that get back to me and I'll get you into the good stuff.

Last year I posted my ranking of what I'd heard by them in the "Rank Your Favorite Bands Albums" thread, it went like this.
1. Lysol
2. the Maggot
3. Eggnog
4. Houdini
5. Bullhead
6. Honky
7. the Bootlicker
8. Pigs of the Roman Empire
9. Stag
10. the Crybaby
11. Prick
12. Electroretard
13. Joe Preston
14. King Buzzo
15. Dale Crover
16. Ozma
17. Colossus of Destiny
18. Stoner Witch
19. Hostile Ambient Takeover
20. Gluey Porch Treatments
21. (A) Senile Animal
22. The Bride Screamed Murder
23. Nude with Boots

Mind you, that's just my opinion. A lot of people like the three albums with the Big Business guys, I think they fucking suck. I'd say the new EP fits in around the middle, around 12-19.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-14-2012 at 06:29 PM.