View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 05:31 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Artist: Gallows
Album: Orchestra of Wolves
Genre: Hardcore
Release Date: 2006

I first heard of this band on some compilation from Metal Hammer magazine back around the time of this album's release. This is a hardcore realse, but it doesn't feel like it. I'm no expert on hardcore, but this just doesn't sound like any hardcore that I've ever heard. If I were to describe this album in one word, that word would be: Chaotic. The guitars are just all over the place and create a feel of chaos throughout the album. A perfect example of this is the opening riff of "In the Belly of a Shark." I feel like this band was heavily influenced by Converge and bands of that sort on this album, which gives it an almost mathcore type of feel, but there's an underlaying Rockabilly vibe to some of the riffs, imo. It's a shame that this style didn't carry over to their next release, Grey Britain, or this would easily be one of my favorite bands. The vocals are a traditional type of hardcore yell/scream with a thick British accent, which I mention the accent because I think it really adds to the music. Some of you may be familiar with the track "In the Belly of a Shark" as it was in the third installment of the Guitar Hero franchise. The standout tracks are "Kill the Rhythm," "Come Friendly Bombs," "Abandon Ship," "In the Belly of a Shark," "Orchestra of Wolves" and "Staring at the Rude Bois (The Ruts cover)"

Abandon Ship

In the Belly of a Shark

Orchestra of Wolves

Staring at the Rude Bois (The Ruts cover) (This is actually a bonus track on the re-issue and it's a bit different, stylistically, but it's a killer track all the same.)
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
1/23 Sea of Shit