View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
...one of the most disappointing records in recent memory...

...easily one of the biggest letdowns of the past five years or so...
Yet you still give it a three out of five. Yeah.

The primary problem with your review is that you, like so many other folks on this site and rookies to the reviewing game, haven't yet learned the value of a little thing called restraint. It's all or nothing with you people. You either love something to bits, or you fucking hate it with all your might. It's all about superlatives and extremes with you. You lack good language skills to describe the middle ground, and so you give the correct score to fit your true opinion, but your words sound like you hated the damn thing with every fiber of your being.

....and by the way, by saying that the album is "one of the biggest letdowns of the last five years", you're lumping it in with monumental piles of shit like Illud Divinum Insanus, which is clearly a whole different fucking neighborhood than where Koloss belongs (again, at least based on the score you granted).

Sorry to be harsh, but obviously I'm tying to get not only your attention, but perhaps that of a few other folks as well who may read your review before listening to the album and decide that it's not worthwhile - which it definitely is. This album is a grower - something you probably wouldn't realize because it seems that you were more worried about getting your opinion out there before anybody else than you were about giving the album a fair assessment (glaring issue number two).

Take your time. Use some restraint. Find the middle ground and get comfortable describing it. Say positive things in the midst of even the most negative reviews (unless whatever you're reviewing really is utter horseshit - which I will tell you is much more rare than you think). Learn to say negative things without coming off as someone who just likes to criticize just to hear himself speak.

Do these things, and you will be taken more seriously, I promise.

Or don't. After all, what do I know?

Last edited by Natrlhi; 03-23-2012 at 01:14 PM.