View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 06:33 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Artist: Arkona (Аркона)
Album: Goy, Rode, Goy!
Genre: Pagan / Folk Metal
Release Date: 2009

Again, I've seen this mentioned on here, but not nearly enough. This album is top of the game in the folk metal department. I saw this band back in November open for Korpiklaani and I went into that show really liking Arkona, but I left absolutely loving Arkona! From the vocalist, Masha, who was wearing a damn wolf pelt to their Ron Jeremy look-alike bassist, everything was spot on. Anyway, focusing on the album, it's pretty much become my standard for folk metal. I like how it really goes from being bouncy and folky to so fucking heavy completely seemlessly. For example, "Goi, Rode, Goi!" starts out with a little Oceanic Ambiance to something heavy as hell and culminates into some tribal sounding chants. I usually hate when bands slow it down mid-album for some emotional, melancholic song, but the one on this album, Liki Bessmertnykh Bogov, is such a great song. This band just really knows what they're doing and I'm glad that they're finally getting some American exposure. The standout tracks for me are "Goi, Rode, Goi!", "Yarilo" and "Arkona."

Fun Fact: You could actually say that they got some U.S. exposure when their song "Yarilo" was featured in a St. Patrick's Day episode (Season 6, Episode 19) of The Office.

Goi, Rode, Goi!

Yarilo
1/5 Genocide Pact ?
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem

Last edited by kalfitegrdan; 03-22-2012 at 08:20 PM.