View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Obviously, right? Or am I missing something?
Obviously.

52. Animals As Leaders - Weightless

OK, so here's the deal. On the one hand, I am somewhat of a sucker for progressive stuff, and even more of a sucker for extremely tight musicianship. That said, I have a very sensitive wankery meter, and one of my biggest turn-offs is when a band goes the one-trick pony route and focuses on technical chops for the sake of technical chops, without the slightest regard for groove or musical appeal. Enter AAL. Now, I'll be honest. Based on what I had heard of these guys, I figured they would be in the wankery category, and I wasn't expecting much - but then I watched their video for "Cafo" from their self-titled album. My reaction was something along the lines of, "holy fuck, are you kidding me?" My skepticism started to melt. I got a copy of the album, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Then, I started hearing early reports about this one, and again, it sounded like it might be disappointing. All I can say is, it's not. I like this album just as much as their first, if not more. The songs are truly amazing to listen to from a technical point of view (left brain), but my right brain also gets some love when I listen to this because it's catchy and interesting. This album definitely gets my head banging, and at the end of the day, that's what it's all about. Avant-garde / progressive bands who are struggling to figure out why they aren't selling a lot of albums and / or tour tickets need to pay the fuck attention to this band, because this is how über-technical progressive metal is done (bands like Behold...The Arctopus, I'm talking to you).