View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

55. Belphegor - Blood Magick Necromance

Maybe it's my growing interest in black metal that made me take a more open-minded approach to this album, but all I know is that every other time I've tried listening to this band I have come away with a feeling of "that certainly wasn't bad, but I can't really explain why I would consider it good". Until this album. I admit that since I've never really gotten into this band, this one could be no better than all the others, or perhaps even worse, but based on other stuff I've read about it, this is one of Belphegor's best works. All I know is that, in addition to the significant black metal influence here, this album is composed of some truly brutal heavy tracks, and at times, I'm almost reminded of albums such as Nile's "Those Whom The Gods Detest" (yes, seriously). The title track is especially good, combining a brutally fast and heavy, nearly continuous blast-beat assault with some nice creepy vocal effects and other atmospheric elements to create a really memorable composition that made me sit up and take notice. Belphegor, you now have my attention.