View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

OK, so here's another one.

56. Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee, Part 2

This is the first (but not last) non-metal record in the Sexy Sixty, and if you ask me, it's a triumphant return to form for a legendary, trend-setting band. 2007's "The Mix-Up" was interesting, and while not a rap album, had The Beastie Boys' signature all over it. I wasn't really a big fan of their releases in 1988 (Hello Nasty) and 2004 (To the 5 Boroughs), and so I'd somewhat written these guys off as a bunch of middle aged knob-twiddlers who might just end up spending the rest of their careers doing production work, collaborations with various rappers and pop stars and riding the occasional summer festival train. This album, however, proves the Beasties still have the mojo to summon the flow from back in the day. In fact, while the title of this album is "Hot Sauce Committee, Part 2", I would make a motion that perhaps it could be renamed "Ill Communication, Part 2". My only complaint is that it might be a tad too long, and it seems to lose some steam towards the end, but still, I enjoyed this album a lot more than I expected to, and I've revisited it many times with pleasure.