View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
#57 is from a side-project of a former member of one of my favorite groups from Brooklyn.
This is the hint I gave for this album, but it's technically not correct (or perhaps not complicated enough, I guess).

What I should have said is, "#57 is from the current band of a founding member of a side-project of one of my favorite groups from Brooklyn".

The "favorite group from Brooklyn" is the inimitable Made Out of Babies. The side project is the short-lived Battle of Mice, founded by MooB's Julie Christmas and Josh Graham (Neurosis, ex-Red Sparowes). His current band is, of course, the sludgy post-metal outfit A Storm of Light.

57. A Storm of Light – As The Valley Of Death Becomes Us, Our Silver Memories Fade

In trying to figure out what to say about ASoL's third album, I found myself somewhat at a loss, so I went to the band's web page hoping for a bit of inspiration. There, I read a description of the album which included a blurb about it being their "most song-oriented and most musically inclined release to date". I can relate to that. The songs aren't quite as sprawling and vast in terms of scope as the band's first two albums, but this certainly doesn't mean that they aren't as heavy. The sludgy, Neurosis-esque bottom end of ASoL's sound is still as prevalent as ever, but I suppose the song structure is a bit more traditional by comparison. Another thing I read about the album was the range of guest appearances on it. I knew that the legendary Jarboe had done some vocal work on here (found on the album's second and eighth tracks, the former of which being one of the best tracks on the album), but I didn't realize that there were also appearances by folks ranging from Kris Force (Amber Asylum), Matthias Bossi (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum/The Book Of Knots) and Carla Kihlstedt (also of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum/The Book Of Knots) to Soundgarden's Kim Thayil and even indie rock darling Nerissa Campbell (who also collaborated on ASoL's first two albums as well). At any rate, despite the ever-so-slightly-more-traditional song structure on display here, this is still a very dense album, and like its two predecessors, it requires some repeated listening in order to fully appreciate. It is yet another impressive release from a band who should probably be a hundred times more well-known than they are, but for some reason I still prefer the band's exquisitely awesome sophomore release to this one (by the way, Jarboe does some really awesome vocal work on that album as well). That said, this is still a fantastic album, and it comes highly recommended to fans of Neurosis, post-metal or sludge in general, or any of the other bands mentioned above.