View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Rats off to ya

2. Dave Brockie (aka Oderus Urungus)

Bands: Gwar (1984-present), DBX (2001-present), X-Cops (1995-1996), Death Piggy (1982-1994)

You probably all expected this since it's no secret i'm a huge Gwar fanboy. I don't know what it is about this voice I like so much. If asked why I like his vocals so much I wouldn't really have an answer for that. I think the vocals are what really make or break the band for most people. In the 80's with Death Piggy and the first Gwar album Dave's vox were pretty much conventional punk vocals but on Scumdog's of the Universe he developed the Oderus voice. The Oderus voice went through various changes over the years. It was always more punk-ish on the 90's albums, then his vocals became more metal oriented in the 2000's. Throughout all eras of Gwar there has always been a clear punk influence in his vocal style. Maybe it's just me but I often notice influence from Jello Biafra and H.R. in his singing. In DBX he uses essentially the same kinda vocals except he's not in character as a space monster. Dave really sticks out to me as one of the most unique voices in metal and I cant get enough of him.

Example: Gwar - Rock Ní Roll Never Felt So Good