View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
I enjoy some Candlemass here and there, although I wouldn't call myself a fan. And besides the occasional early Mastodon, I don't enjoy sludge. Stoner is a definite no for me. I hardly enjoy any artist that comes out that is really obscure and has that "muddy" feel to it. It doesn't do anything for me except wish for better production and songwriting. Obviously this is just tastes talking though.
Understandable. Though, judging by your second to last post, I feel you're judging this type of music by genres that are completely different, which isn't entirely fair. In doing so you're missing the reasons people like this type of music. The tone might sound nasty, but it's supposed to sound that way. Playing the same riff for four minutes straight isn't supposed to be technical. And sometimes it's the simplicity of the music that leaves an impression on the listener. Just listen to the last five minutes of "The Catechism of Depression" off Mournful Congregation's new album. That shit just burns its way into your mind. Playing in an odd time signature is useless to me if the music doesn't impact me in some emotional way.

Now don't get me wrong, YOB isn't one of my favorite bands out there. There are maaaany bands in their genre doing better things than they are. But I think it's important, at least before criticizing them, to understand their appeal to people who do like them (coincidentally, I'm still trying to figure out the appeal of deathcore to people out there *JDcoughcough* ).

I'm really not interested in seeing them live, especially in an environment like the one on this tour. I'll give an opinion though after seeing them at Maryland Deathfest.