View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

My favorite band changed a lot in my younger days; Nirvana from 1991-1994, Nine Inch Nails from 1994-1995, Type O Negative from 1995-1997, anything Mike Patton from 1998 until 2005. But for probably the last ten years I've considered my favorite band to be:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

I got into them around late 2000. First song I heard was Sunshine + Gasoline, not even an album track, sort of a demo/earlier version of another song called Moya. I've always been into emotional/depressive/trance-inducing music and no band does that better to me than GYBE. No band just gives me that feeling of awe and hopelessness and commands that I pay attention. I just have to stop and listen. I could just stare at a wall and listen to their music.

I also love their anonimity (sp?). I know there's a guy named Efrim who plays guitar, I know there was a Theirry and a Moya in the band at one point and I know they're from Montreal. That's about it. I've never seen a really clear picture or read too much of an interview. They've been able to keep up that image that so many black metal bands thrive for.

I listened to them a lot in the early 2000's and even still during their hiatus from 2002 until now. I never forgot them.

I wish that I could see them live someday because I've heard that they're an incredible live band but there are too many hipster-duffuses and scenesters in Toronto so I don't think I'd enjoy myself at one of their shows. I'll continue to listen to them in my own space.

Hopefully they'll release something new some day, but until then I'll enjoy the side-band Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra (who I am going to see live later this month despite all the hipsters, but since I don't have quite the attachment to them I don't think they'll bother me too much).

It's interesting how I first got into them; I was searching Napster for 'Emperor' back in 2000 and they popped up, as did another band called 'Emperor Pengin'. I remembered reading about them in some 'zine a year earlier and decided to check out the aformentioned Sunshine + Gasoline. It was about 2am and I was half asleep. I think I listened to that song ten times in a row and was hooked. The next day I downloaded everything I could find and made some mixed CD-R's, which I listened too until they fried. Three years later, when I actually had money, I was able to purchase all their albums legit. I should have downloaded some Emperor Pengin, maybe they would be my second favorite band?
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 01-14-2012 at 08:20 PM.