View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732;430883[IMG
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d91/30483_woods_of_desolation_torn_beyond_reason.jpg[/IMG]
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
This British atmospheric sludge act came heavily recommended to me by a certain Santa Rosa area Mexican whose immigration status is still in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post

35. Light Bearer - Lapsus

I want to like this album so much more than I do. That's the truth. This British atmospheric sludge act came heavily recommended to me by a certain Santa Rosa area Mexican whose immigration status is still in the air. For a band that draws influences from bands like Isis and meandering post-rock bands, this album should be an album of the year contender, but it's not. Its songs like Primum Movens entice the listener with a siren like clean riff call, before dropping into the Scylla and Charybdis (know your Odysseus before you read my shit) of sludge riffs and Aaron Turner esque barks for the next ten minutes. However, its riffing becomes very noticeably similar throughout, which is so frustrating because everything else is just on point. The instruments are mixed perfectly for a sludge album, with its vocals sitting buoyantly above the guitars and cymbals, sounding absolutely perfect. However it begins to hear like the Aeolian era The Ocean album that Staps and co. decided not to make by the time Prelapsus hits you. Still, another Aeolian era The Ocean album is always welcomed in my book, but this album is not as good as it could have been.
While I disagree, I can catch your drift. Some of the riffs in different songs do sound similar, but I like it when albums return to previous ideas sometimes. It works in cases like Lapsus and Descent.
3/7 Enslaved/Yob
4/17 ELECTRIC FUCKING WIZARD