View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 AM
N00B

I also forgot to note that I'm am not a very strong writer, especially compared to many of you guys, so I'll keep my write-ups short and sweet for the most part.

Top EPs

Between The Buried And Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues

Composed of three tracks of about 10 minutes in length, this EP contains more of the same progressive metalcore with Dream Theater wank and the usual crazy antics. I've enjoyed their post Silent Circus material to an extent and this is no different. Not their best songwriting, which I still feel is too schizophrenic, but enjoyable music from a supremely talented band nonetheless.

Ancestors - Invisible White

This fantastic little release was one of my most pleasant surprises of 2011. I had enjoyed their previous releases, Neptune With Fire and Of Sound Mind, but the new direction of Invisible White has me excited about the band's future. The music lacks the riffage of their previous work, but instead relies on a relaxed, uplifting atmosphere. Strong harmonized clean vocals, sprawling guitar work, and well utilized piano/organ works in harmony to create a collection of songs that make me want to lay in a sunny field and just let the music take me to another world.

The final track, "Epilogue", especially the final 5 minutes containing a fantastic guitar solo is clearly the highlight.
http://youtu.be/blxQimsGwwc
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG