View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
It should be noted that The Seven Mile Journey limits themselves instrumentally to bass, drums, guitars, and an occasional keyboard. That's an automatic red flag to me. It tells me, like any other record featuring these instruments would tell me, it has the potential to be great, but also a handicap in that it lacks that extra element that could push it over the edge. No horns, no violins, no strings, etc., means almost invariably an inability to compete with bands who've mastered the usage of these instruments with their music. This isn't the case with The Seven Mile Journey, which is a further testament to their artisanship. They don't need that extra element to distinguish themselves from other post-rock bands.
I'm confused. There are some pretty obvious string parts on this album. It's one of the things I really liked, and which I thought set this album apart from many others in the genre. My only complaint is that it gets a bit repetitive at times (but that's usually when the songs are building momentum, so it's somewhat forgivable).

Anyway, very solid top five. Several of these are going to rank very highly on my list as well.