View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
The Call of the Wretched Sea is one of the greatest doom albums ever. Not just funeral doom...

I think this album is a bit better

Ahab - The Divinity of the Oceans
(Napalm Records, 2009)

Ahab's debut record was a phenomenal example of how you do funeral doom right. With their sophomore release which followed three years later, Ahab brought what should be extreme doom in general to an entire different level. Starting with the first song "Yet Another Raft of the Medusa (Pollard's Weakness)" which sounds the most like their other record. You could start making out some differences, the production is a little cleaner, the ambient parts are shortened, the drums are more technical, and the magnificent clean vocals that start out as mostly background vocals. Eventually worm their way to at least half of the entire lead vocals on the album. Along with riffs becoming a lot meatier, more in the vein of death metal at points. They no longer drone for long lengths, instead you get a much stronger sense of dynamics. Making nothing last longer than it should, and making every second and riff count. I would say this is probably the second most accessible album on this list next to Loss. I love this album I a lot, it's pretty much flawless. If I would have to pick a highlight though it would have to be "Redemption Lost". It has an absolutely dreamy shoe-gaze/post feel to it, that makes it standout heads and shoulders above most funeral doom for its uplifting atmosphere. One last thing their lyrics are awesome, and made me look into the story of the Essex. It's really interesting stuff.

EDIT: They have a new album this next year, can't come soon enough Will definitely be high on my list next year.

Last edited by hb420; 12-27-2011 at 12:35 AM.