View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

44.Dropkick Murphys-Going Out In Style

Boston's finest celtic punk band returned with ther first full-length in four years this year. As usual, this is a combination of some catchy, frantic celtic punk that will get stuck in your head and make you want to have a good time and some well-written ballads to balance out the record. Like BloodOfTheKings stated in his write-up, I really couldn't tell this was a concept album. But there are some cool stories in the lyrics ("Sunday Hardcore Matinee" especially where they tell stories about their glory days seeing 80's hardcore punk bands like Bad Brains and Agnostic Front). Another fine effort from the Dropkicks and I'm beyond excited to see them live again in March (there is nothing like seeing them in Boston, it's fucking incredible).
Standout Tracks
1.Going Out In Style
2.Sunday Hardcore Matinee
3.Peg O' My Heart

43.Hate Eternal-Phoenix Amongst The Ashes

I had lost interest in Hate Eternal for a while after seeing them live and being incredibly bored. This album brought me back in though. It's heavy as fuck. It's evident that Erik Rutan and co. wanted to massacre the listeners right off the bat with the unholy opening trio of "The Eternal Ruler", "Thorns Of Acacia" and "Haunting Abound". The album does take a bit of a dip in quality in the middle, but makes up for it with the last few tracks. Rutan shreds on this entire record and rips out some of his most impressive solos to date. I would of have enjoyed this record more if I didn't hear so much "OMG, IT'S A FUCKING MASTERPIECE" talk about this record (it's not even close to a masterpiece, all the masterpiece talk makes this one of the most overrated records of the year imo). That being said, this is still an impressive record that made me want to listen to Hate Eternal again (still don't plan on seeing them live again anytime soon though).
Standout Tracks
1.Thorns Of Acacia
2.Haunting Abound
3.The Fire Of Resurrection

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/