View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

TOP 15 ALBUMS OF 2011

15-11

I feel that 2011 was a bit of a let down when it came to new releases, so this was a hard list to compile since I am very picky about my music, but here we go.....

15: Gravehill - When All Roads Lead to Hell

This was a new band for me this year. My band, Funeral Age, got offered a slot to open for them and Impiety, so I immediately looked into them. I first checked out their album "Rites of the Pentagram" which I fell in love with right away. As I looked into them more I saw they had a new album coming out, so I was stoked. I couldn't find it anywhere, so I bought it from them at the show. Now... I will say, it isn't as good as the prior album, but it is still a kick ass raw dirty death/thrash album, and has a pretty rad AC/DC cover as a bonus track! Check them out if they come to your city, their live show is intense and powerful!
___

14: Vreid - V

It's Vreid! How can it not be on my top list. I was an instant fan when i saw them on their first US tour 2-3 years ago (sorry, the exact tour has escaped me... was it with Tyr?). The black 'n' roll aspect of them is catchy, and kick ass at the same time, so how couldn't I be excited for the new album? The entire album from beginning to end is awesome. But sadly, much like Gravehill, the earlier material outshines it, but that does not prevent it from being an enjoyable album! Even their oddly industrialish sounding (the verse at least) single, "The Sound of the River" kicks ass, IMO. I had the honor to open for these guys this year as well, but was forced to miss them due to my van being broken into. I am excited to hear what they come out with next, and I am still hoping they cover Windir at one of their live performances!
___

13: Samael - Lux Mundi

I will admit, I love Industrial Metal (yes.... Illud blah blah even has it's moments IMO...but I'll get to that later ), and Samael does not disappoint in this genre. I liked where they went with their previous album, "Above", which seemed like they were going toward a more straight forward Black Metal sound, but this album brings it back to the Industrial. It is a very fun listen, and I can't hold back when it comes to blasting it while driving down the freeway. I am unsure if all the copies come with it, but I got the version that has the "Anti God" EP as a bonus disc, which was released last year, and is just as good as this full length is.
___

12: Hate - Erebos
***WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER SAYS IT WAS RELEASED THIS YEAR, EVERYWHERE ONLINE SAYS OTHERWISE..... OH WILL... I'LL KEEP IT ON FOR NOW***

Yes, I am that guy who used to call Hate "Mini-Behemoth", but after seeing them live numerous times this year and actually listening to them, I will say (I AM SORRY)... I enjoy them more than Behemoth. Not only is their visual show great, but the music is crushingly heavy and I cannot help but pump my fist during the those chuggy polish breakdown parts. I was not expecting to enjoy this album as much as I did. "Wrists" has to be my favorite track off of the album, the chorus is extremely catchy and you cannot help but headbang throughout the entire song.
___

11: Somnae - Forever More

Somnae is a band from right here in Seattle, WA and just put out their debut EP this year. The band features members of Seattle, WA symphonic black metal band, Inquinok. It's hard to place what they sound like, I want to say they have an Opeth meets Swallow the Sun sound, but only the heavy death metal parts of both bands. Very melodic and dark sounding. They will definitely go places if they keep up the amazing song writing. Below are some links!
An Ominous Strain (Live) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HMavo-rlWQ
Forever More - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pte06RE7SM
Fragile Tomorrow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-cFrf7oWe4

10-6 will be posted... SOMETIME!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com

Last edited by John The Drummer; 12-12-2011 at 07:19 PM.